Monday, March 14, 2005

Tonka bean ice cream, pt. 1


Tonka bean gelato
Originally uploaded by ajkinik.



I made this ice cream flavoured with Tonka beans last night and strange memories from childhood have come up for both Anthony and I. The taste is reminiscent of a candy of some kind… I am not conscious of ever having had Tonka beans before, whose taste reminds me of tarragon and hay with vanilla. I don’t know what it is but I like it.

When making ice cream, there is always the question of style: French, American, Mid-western, Italian? I like my ice creams very rich and tend to favour the cream-meringue and crème Anglaise variations, while Anthony prefers the lighter milky type. This recipe is one of his favourites, and with the addition of the Tonka bean it is very fresh and light.

Tonka Bean Gelato

1 1/2 c. cream
2 1/2 c. milk
1 c. sugar
7 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. grated Tonka Bean

Simmer cream, 1 1/2 c. milk and grated Tonka bean.
Dissolve cornstarch and sugar in remaining milk.
Add to hot mixture and stir until it thickens slightly.
Pour through a sieve into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
Chill several hours and churn in an ice cream maker.
Makes one quart.

m

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle,

That Tonka ice cream looks simply scrumptious!

kelli ann & lorie said...

ice cream and chocolates.

delicious! great photos!

kaf